BRACH’S® Scary Shapes Cupcakes
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 box vanilla instant pudding
- Green food coloring
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons (¾ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons clear vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cold water
- Brach’s Scary Shapes Mellowcremes
- Optional — Halloween Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix in the butter, sour cream, eggs and vanilla at medium speed until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes until the tops of the cupcakes spring back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the pan and put on a cooling rack to let cool completely
- While cupcakes cool, make the vanilla pudding according to the manufacturer’s directions. Add green food coloring to make the pudding a nice green slime shade.
- When cupcakes are cool, cut a small hole in the top of each cupcake about the size of a quarter.
- Fill hole with the green pudding until it is level with the top of the cupcake.
- Refrigerate until ready to frost.
- Blend together the shortening, butter and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until well blended.
- While the mixer is going, slowly add the water in a thin stream and continue to beat until absorbed and the frosting becomes fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Pipe the frosting (or spread with a spatula) onto the cooled cupcakes being careful to not disturb the pudding.
- Decorate with a few pieces of Brach’s Scary Shapes and a bit of Halloween sprinkles.